Tuesday 25 November 2008

Mushrooms, mists and musings

I don't much like autumn, usually.

It never feels like a season of mists and mellow fruitfulness to me. It's too depressing. All that rain, decay and darkness. When all hope of a late Indian summer has gone, I feel bereft - almost betrayed; and when the clocks go back, I rage, rage against the dying of the light.



But this year something seems to have changed. I am looking at autumn with different eyes.
.
Suddenly, the colours seem incredibly beautiful, and the sky seems higher, and the cold seems (what's the word?) brazen - like it is daring us to shake our heads and wake up.
.
If you look at my pics, I hope you'll see what I mean.





For the first time, as autumn advances and winter creeps towards us, I feel something like relief as well as sadness. It seems the leaves are letting go, not falling! It feels like the out-breath after the in-breath; the ebb after the flow.
.
And for the first time, I actually believe that spring and summer will come again!







I wonder if this means I'm getting old?!
.
.
.
Flow x
.
.
.
.
(© 2008 - All photos)









3 comments:

  1. It's funny, but I've really enjoyed Autumn this year, too, and like you it usually gives me a sense of impending Doooom.

    I guess I'm really noticing the positive things and appreciating them at the moment, but even so... perhaps it is one of the benefits of age. (There must be some, surely!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I think it maybe because we've actually got some real winter weather this year.

    ReplyDelete